Kansas transplant that found an insatiable appetite for publishing and media--it just happened to all occur in the heartland. From magazine editing, photography, social media and blogging, I've become a versatile media maven.
Editor, Sunflower Publishing, The World Company, Lawrence Kansas
- Managing Editor KANSAS! Magazine. Contracted by the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism, to maintain all editorial content for the state’s quarterly publication.
- Managing Editor Kansas Outdoors. Contracted by the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism to create and publish and outdoors magazine to better serve outdoor tourism int he state of Kansas.
- Project Manager for the production of the 2013/2014 Lawrence Visitors Guide, created for the Lawrence Convention and Visitors Bureau.
- Editor of Shawnee Magazine, Manhattan Magazine, Hutchinson Magazine and Discover Eudora. Integral part of the development and launch of these quarterly upscale city/regional publications serving Kansas communities.
- Editor of CHALK Magazine, STATEMENTS Magazine and www.chalkonline.com. Biannual 60-page collegiate lifestyle magazines and website serving the University of Kansas and Kansas State University.
Additional work at Lawrence Journal-World, U.S. News & World Report and The Colorado Daily.
2012: Magazine of the Year - Great Plains Media Award, Manhattan Magazine, Editor
2012: Bronze Award for Most Improved Magazine - International Regional Magazine Association, KANSAS! magazine, Editor
2012: Award of Merit, Food Feature on Kansas chefs - International Regional Magazine Association, KANSAS! magazine, Editor
For all intents and purposes, I consider myself a "poor man's" photographer. With some formal training, the art has grown more out of passion and documentation. Currently I am exploring more endeavors that include photography beyond publishing and personal collections.
Originally resistant to social media, I "gave in" sometime during 2007 and have been posting and tweeting ever since. I was quick to find the value in social media for businesses, journalism and community. I believe in the power of engagement and used that belief to launch #MagChat in 2011. This weekly Twitter chat brings magazine enthusiasts together to discuss the industry and ideas. I've since used my experience to launch and manage many Facebook Fan Pages, Twitter accounts, SEO endeavors and services for location-based social networking. Such entities include: United Way of Douglas County, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Douglas County, Lawrency Young Professionals Network and various magazines.
Magazine Chat was launched when I found a dead end on the internet for magazine news, networking and information. A desire to learn more about the use of social media by magazines launched the blog and the monthly Twitter chat, #MagChat.
the nesbik blog began as a side project to document some home renovations. It soon turned into a cathartic release, adventure blog, hot mess, that includes everything from ruminations about the prairie to as a journalist.
Travel Kansas Reoccuring adventrue blogger for the TravelKS Blog. Find myself covering bike races, bird watching and off roading in the Sand Hills.